Huge boost as offshore wind farm gets green light and Energy Sec "minded to approve" second project
02 July 2020
Responding to the announcements by the Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Alok Sharma to grant consent to Vattenfall’s 1.8GW Norfolk Vanguard offshore wind farm project, and that he is “minded to approve” Ørsted’s 2.4GW Hornsea Three project subject to further information being submitted by the end of September, RenewableUK’s Chief Executive Hugh McNeal said:
"Investments in major clean energy projects like these are great examples of how we can get the economy moving again, and the Secretary of State’s announcement will boost our ability to meet the Government’s 2030 target of 40GW of offshore wind.
“The landmark decision on Norfolk Vanguard means the UK is taking a significant step closer towards our net zero emissions target, and confirmation of a positive decision on Hornsea Three will get us there even faster.
“Large scale offshore wind power is good for our environment and our economy, by tackling climate change while boosting productivity and creating thousands of jobs in the process. These projects will help us to maintain our global lead in offshore wind, as well as building up our UK supply chain".
For further information, please contact:
· Luke Clark, Head of External Affairs 07875 704 032 Luke.Clark@RenewableUK.com
· Robert Norris, Head of Communications 07969 229 913 Robert.Norris@RenewableUK.com
1. RenewableUK’s members are building our future energy system, powered by clean electricity. We bring them together to deliver that future faster; a future which is better for industry, billpayers, and the environment. We support over 400 member companies to ensure increasing amounts of renewable electricity are deployed across the UK and to access export markets all over the world. Our members are business leaders, technology innovators, and expert thinkers from right across industry.
2. RenewableUK revised events programme is available here.
3. More details on Ørsted’s Hornsea Three project available here
4. More details on Vattenfall’s Norfolk Vanguard project available here