New Scottish offshore wind leasing round will boost UK-wide green economic recovery
10 June 2020
Posted by: Rob Norris
RenewableUK is welcoming this morning’s announcement by Crown Estate Scotland of the first round of offshore wind leasing in Scottish waters for a decade.
RenewableUK's Head of Policy and Regulation Rebecca Williams said:
"The opening of ScotWind Leasing marks a significant step forward for the UK's offshore wind sector and for the entire country's green economic recovery after the pandemic. It creates multi-billion-pound investment opportunities which will last for decades, regenerating coastal communities in Scotland and expanding our wider supply chain which already extends throughout the UK.
“Consumers will benefit too as offshore wind is one of the UK's cheapest sources of new power. This technology will do the heavy lifting which will enable Scotland and the UK to meet their net zero emissions targets faster. ScotWind will provide new opportunities to pioneer floating offshore projects, a technology which has huge potential in the UK and around the world".
For further information, please contact:
· Luke Clark, Head of External Affairs 07875 704 032 Luke.Clark@RenewableUK.com
· Robert Norris, Head of Communications 07969 229 913 Robert.Norris@RenewableUK.com
1. RenewableUK’s members are building our future energy system, powered by clean electricity. We bring them together to deliver that future faster; a future which is better for industry, billpayers, and the environment. We support over 400 member companies to ensure increasing amounts of renewable electricity are deployed across the UK and to access export markets all over the world. Our members are business leaders, technology innovators, and expert thinkers from right across industry.
2. More details on Crown Estate Scotland are available here.
3. RenewableUK revised events programme is available here.