Public support for renewable energy at an all-time high
04 May 2017
Posted by: RenewableUK
RenewableUK is highlighting new official Government statistics which show that 79% of people support renewable energy.
The poll also shows that levels of public support for other renewable technologies reached their highest ever levels since the poll began in 2012. Onshore wind’s support reached 73%, offshore wind at 80%; wave and tidal at 79%.
The Public Attitudes Tracking Survey is published by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
RenewableUK’s Executive Director, Emma Pinchbeck, said:
“As political parties get ready to launch their manifestos, it must surely be worth their attention that nearly 80% of the general public support renewable energy, and this remains true across all demographics.
The public is well aware that home-grown renewables provide clean and affordable energy for the future, along with huge economic benefits to local communities”.
For further information, please contact:
· Jennifer Webber, Director of External Affairs, 020 7901 3012 or 07792 463 445 Jennifer.Webber@RenewableUK.com
· Robert Norris, Head of Communications, 020 7901 3013 or 07969 229913, Robert.Norris@RenewableUK.com
· Adam Wentworth, Communications Officer, 020 7901 3038 or 07791 702702 Adam.Wentworth@RenewableUK.com
1. RenewableUK is the trade and professional body for the UK wind and marine renewables industries. Formed in 1978, and with more than 400 corporate members, RenewableUK is the leading renewable energy trade association in the UK.
2. The full data can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/energy-and-climate-change-public-attitude-tracking-survey-wave-21
3. 70% of those polled agreed that renewable industries and developments provide economic benefits to the UK.