UK women dominate new wind energy rankings
08 March 2017
Posted by: RenewableUK
A new report released for International Women’s Day is highlighting the most powerful women in the wind industry for the first time.
The report, Women’s Power List 2017, is published by A Word About Wind, a market intelligence service. It has researched and ranked the 100 most prominent women in the industry from across the globe. The results show that 30 of the entrants are from the UK and the Republic of Ireland.
The UK women on the list are credited with providing vital leadership in taking the wind industry forward in recent years. This includes financial, legal and policy work, in which the UK has a global expertise.
Some of the most prominent figures include: Juliet Davenport, founder and CEO of Wiltshire-based company Good Energy; Lindsay McQuade, Director of Policy & Innovation at ScottishPower Renewables; and Jenny Blackford, Director of Siemens Financial Services
To coincide with the report and International Women’s Day, RenewableUK is launching a new ‘Women Into Wind’ initiative to encourage women to get involved in the industry. The campaign includes details on job opportunities, career advice and case studies, including a number of new female entries to RenewableUK’s Faces of Wind site which now features women ranging from mariners to engineers to CEOs.
RenewableUK’s Executive Director, Emma Pinchbeck, said:
“It’s great to see this new power list highlighting the important role women are now playing in the wind industry. The UK is one of the leading performers in the rankings. British women in some of the world’s most powerful firms are playing a significant role in taking the wind industry forward.
It’s an encouraging sign that our sector is becoming more inclusive, but the number of women in senior management roles still needs to increase. We should ensure that women across the country see wind energy as an open and attractive industry to work in. This means promoting renewable skills and opportunities to a new generation of women entering the workforce”.
For further information, please contact:
· Jennifer Webber, Director of External Affairs, 0207 901 3012 or 07792 463 445
· Adam Wentworth, Communications Officer, 0207 901 3038 or 07791 702702 Adam.Wentworth@RenewableUK.com
1. RenewableUK is the trade and professional body for the wind, wave and tidal energy industries. Formed in 1978, and with more than 400 corporate members, RenewableUK is the country’s leading renewable energy trade association.
2. More details on the Women’s Power List can be found here: http://www.awordaboutwind.com/reports/wind-industry-report-womens-power-list-2017/
3. The Faces of Wind Energy website can be found here: https://www.facesofwindenergy.com/