Major offshore wind contract for Harland and Wolff shows industrial benefits of renewables to UK
25 November 2016
Posted by: RenewableUK
RenewableUK welcomes today’s announcement by Harland and Wolff in Belfast that it has won a major contract to supply steel foundations to an innovative offshore wind farm off the Suffolk coast.
The UK company will manufacture 24 foundations for the East Anglia One project, which is being developed by ScottishPower Renewables. The wind farm will be located 43km from shore and have a capacity of 714 megawatts – powering the equivalent of 500,000 UK homes. The project is currently the most cost efficient offshore wind farm to confirm construction.
RenewableUK’s Chief Executive, Hugh McNeal, said:
“We are a UK trade body, so for us UK jobs are always good news. This contract in Northern Ireland demonstrates the offshore wind industry’s commitment to using local companies to build their projects as well as securing 200 jobs in Belfast. Harland and Wolff is an iconic company with 150 years of construction history, and it’s great to see renewable energy will be playing an important role in its future. We’re confident that British companies will be able to win similar work not only here, but around the world, as the industry continues to grow”.
For further information, please contact:
· Jennifer Webber, Director of External Affairs, 0207 901 3012 or 07792 463 445
· Robert Norris, Head of Communications, 0207 901 3013 or 07969 229913 Robert.Norris@RenewableUK.com
· Adam Wentworth, Communications Officer, 0207 901 3038 or 07791 702702 Adam.Wentworth@RenewableUK.com
1. RenewableUK is the trade and professional body for the wind, wave and tidal energy industries. Formed in 1978, and with more than 430 corporate members, RenewableUK is the country’s leading renewable energy trade association.
2. More on Harland and Wolff can be found here
3. More detail on the East Anglia One project can be found here
4. RenewableUK and WindEurope are partnering to host Offshore Wind Energy 2017. This will be the largest offshore wind conference in the industry’s history, with 10,000 professionals attending and over 500 exhibitors. The event will take place on 6-8 June 2017.