Return to news listings
Record Breaking Day for Wind
23 March 2013
- Wind generates over 5 gigawatts of electricity for whole 24 hour period for the first time
- Enough to power the equivalent of 4 out of every 10 British homes
- Power was generated during one of the coldest March days on record and whilst gas price at 7 year high
RenewableUK is celebrating the fact that for the first time, wind energy in the UK generated over 5 gigawatts of electricity consistently over a 24 hour period, with the period starting on Thursday 21st March 2013 at 9:30pm and continuing for the rest of Friday 22nd March 2013.
This means that for this 24 hour period wind was generating enough to power the equivalent of nearly 4 out of every 10 UK homes and consistently over 10% of GB’s overall electricity needs.
In addition a record for one-off generation in a half hour period was created at 1530 when 5.296GW of wind was present on the grid, alongside another anticipated 2GW from distributed wind.
Maria McCaffery Chief Executive of RenewableUK said “What this shows is that wind is a stable and reliable source of power generation on the scale we need, when we need it most. This then counters the idea that wind does not generate power during cold snaps and comes at the same time as reports that the UK has only 36 hours of gas supplies in reserve, and on the day that the wholesale price of gas in the UK reached a seven year high. It also serves as a timely reminder of the vulnerability of supply and the price volatility of imported fossil fuels. This power production coupled with Ofgem’s own figures, announced on Thursday, which showed the real cost of wind to households is just over 3p a day is a double triumph of fact over fiction”.
- All data on power provided to the grid sourced from http://www.bmreports.com
- The figure for average UK household consumption is based on Government data which can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-of-energy-climate-change/series/sub-national-electricity-consumption-data
- Details of the seven year gas high http://www.sharecast.com/cgi-bin/sharecast/story.cgi?story_id=20779540
- The Office of National Statistics puts the number of UK households at 26.4 million: www.ons.gov.uk/ons/index/.html
Return to news listings
RenewableUK is the UK’s leading renewable energy trade association, specialising in onshore wind, offshore wind and wave & tidal energy. Formed in 1978, we have an established, large corporate membership ranging from small independent companies, to large international corporations and manufacturers. Acting as a central point of information and a united, representative voice for our membership, we conduct research; find solutions; organise events, facilitate business development, and promote wind and marine renewables to government, industry, the media and the public. Our vision is for renewable energy to play a leading role in powering the UK.